Monday, October 7, 2013

Down the Rabbit Hole, or Why I Love/Hate Wikipedia



I was watching Bridesmaids (2011) and at the end Wilson Phillips performs their song "Hold On." I looked them up on wikipedia to see when that song was popular. (If you can't tell by the fashion in the video, it was 1990.) Of course, I had to read the entire article while I was there which is why I love/hate Wikipedia. I always get sucked down the rabbit hole by the many hyperlinks within.

I knew that the Wilsons part of Wilson Phillips refers to the daughters of Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys, but didn't know that the Phillips part refers to the daughter of John Phillips and Michelle Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas. This led me to read the articles on all of the people linked to above. Apparently, both John and Michelle were not know for being very faithful but it was the 70s. And check out this picture of John.... A beige top hat and a fur? I can only imagine that women were throwing themselves at him!

John Phillips Wolfking of L.A..jpg
It turns out that he had two other wives with who he produced other famous children. His oldest daughter, Mackenzie Phillips, was also a singer and would later claim to have had an incestuous relationship with him. His younger daughter Bijou Phillips is an actor who I'm most familiar with as serial killer and mother of the title character in the sitcom Raising Hope.  

I also learned that Mama Cass Eliot of the Mamas & the Papas was only 32 when she died. Now that I'm in my early 30s, it's weird to realize how tragically young some of these famous artists were when they died. Her wikipedia article also says, "An-oft repeated urban legend states that Elliot choked to death on a ham sandwich. The story, which started following the discovery of her body, was based on speculation in the initial media coverage. Police had told reporters that a partially eaten sandwich found in her room might have been to blame, though an autopsy had yet to be conducted. Despite the post-mortem examination finding that Elliot had died of a heart attack and no food at all was found in her windpipe, the false story that she choked on a sandwich has persisted in the decades following her death. In fact, Elliot had lost 80 pounds (36 kg) in the eight months before her death by fasting four days a week. Her fatal heart attack was most likely related to this extreme weight loss measure which weakened her heart."

Gives whole new meaning to California Dreamin'...


No comments:

Post a Comment