Tuesday, September 24, 2013

To What End?

The In Crowd, or Fear and Loathing in Library Land
I've definitely become aware of the "secret society in the library profession" since I started working in library-land. In fact, it's one of the reason I decided to stick with this job and pursue this profession. The appreciation of my local community or co-workers is not enough for me. I know that it should be but (almost) no one here seems to care as much about the big picture. I want to be part of the group of motivated librarians that help shape the image of the "library" and what it represents to people.

Valerie's post is a good reminder that I have plenty of work to do at the local level, and that work will earn me the support I need at a higher level, even if I never keynote a conference or win a national award. For now I'm just going to keep listening and work on my degree because I'm sure I'll have plenty of time for all that other stuff later.

No comments:

Post a Comment