Friday, August 9, 2013

Renovation. It Starts.

The construction crew has been working outside for a while, clearing trees, digging a giant hole for the lower level, tearing out a lot of concrete, etc. On Monday, whoever is in charge came in and said that they were going to move inside soon, especially if it started raining.

Carly & I were tasked with cleaning out the Friends room on Tuesday which wasn't too bad, but not what we were expecting to do all day. We already a lot of stuff out on the book sale tables and had Giggil scheduled to come that morning to take all of the hardbacks that weren't selling. We did have over a dozen shelves of discarded Children's books that we hadn't looked at which we had to sort at break-neck speed. We wanted Giggil to be able to take the majority of them so we were trying to get it done before they arrived. We managed to get everything ready but the Giggil guy didn't have enough room in his truck to take everything but he came back the next morning to get the rest. The stuff we saved for the book sale is now just hanging out on carts since there was no table space. I just finished moving the FOWL file cabinet and other misc supplies to my office yesterday (Friday). 

On Wednesday I started to gather all of the crap equipment (11 CRT monitors!) I wanted out of the building into the Front Office so that the Recycle Force guys could come Thursday morning. I stopped for a while because we were having a Magic Science Show in the morning and I didn't want to be carrying heavy, awkward things around with lots of kids running all over the place. While I was taking a break from that, I helped Sheryl clean out the Front Office closet. I was amazed to find a graveyard of equipment in there that I had no idea existed. I found a reel-to-reel filmstrip projector, a slide projector, a brailler, and a machine that says it scans books and turns it into "high-quality audio!" I moved all of it to my office and now I can't wait to try out all of it. I'm thinking about making a display of "Vintage Technology" in the future.

On Thursday morning, the Recycle Force guys showed up around 9:15-9:30 and were out of the parking lot with their giant truck before we opened at 10. I feel like nothing ever goes according to schedule so I'm mentioning this so I can remember that ALMOST nothing ever goes according to plan. After that we needed to shift children's books. Thousands of children's books. Some boys from the middle school football team came to help later that morning. I had two helping me shift which was almost not helpful at all. Others moved furniture in the front office and shelving from Children's to Reference. The foreign language collection was moved from the wall to the previously mentioned, newly relocated shelving.

On Friday I moved what was left in the Friends room (file cabinet, tablecloths, etc.) into my office.  

No comments:

Post a Comment